Sunday, March 13, 2011

RIP

I'm not a big jewelry person. I like it, but I've found I seldom wear it. This is one exception.
It's a Victorian memory locket, the real deal from the 1880s. I'd wanted one for years and years and finally bought this for myself for an extra-special Chirstmas gift since it was fucking pricey.
As you can kind of see, there's (blonde) hair stuck into the inside on the left panel. It was hidden when I got it by a little piece of cardboard which had been cut to fit. It hadn't been included in the description on the website, so I emailed the dealer from whom I bought it, and even she hadn't spotted it. That kind of made me feel like a supercool detective.
I am sure some people find this kind of thing creepy and revolting, but I think of it as historical and beautiful in the same way that I think mummies are beautiful and intriguing. The cord from which it's hung is not original, but you can't win them all.

Coincidental word: Malkintrash- One in dismal garb. Definition taken from The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, originally by Francis Grose. I came across this word a few years ago in said Dictionary and mentally bookmarked it as a potential name for my future super-amazing dream shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment